Spring has officially sprung!
With the rising temperatures comes a surge of activity in the real estate market.
If you’re selling or considering the sale of your condo this spring, you’ll want to optimize your space for showings. Aside from the more obvious preparatory clean-up and perhaps staging, keep in mind these simple yet often overlooked tips that will keep your suite in shipshape for showings each and every day.
- Keep lights turned on for optimal lighting, particularly in the evening.
- Draw all shades and window coverings open to let in as much sunlight as possible. If you have a less-than-picture-perfect view, you may want to consider the use of sheers. This is a cost-effective way to help to minimize a bad view while maximizing natural light.
- Keep all doors within your suite wide open, with the exception of closets and furnace/laundry room doors.
- Remove all garbage from the unit, particularly from open bins that don't have lids.
- Consider the use of light air freshener / deodorizer to freshen up your space.
- Soft, neutral background music always adds a nice touch.
- Clear and de-clutter all countertops by hiding away all cooking tools, utensils and other knick-knacks.
- One or two small appliances (e.g. coffee maker, toaster) can be left on counters if space allows.
- Clear the sink of any dishes and put away countertop dish racks.
- Liquid dish detergent and soap look best when placed in simple, decorative dispensers.
- Ensure that counters are clean of any greasy or sticky stains and crumbs.
- Small “green” bins should also be hidden away.
- Leave toilet seat covers down.
- Clear and de-clutter all countertops by hiding away personal items such as toothbrushes, hygiene/beauty products and hair styling tools.
- As in the kitchen, liquid or bar soaps look best when placed in simple, decorative dispensers or holders.
- Use your best fresh towels (or consider purchasing new ones) for display purposes. If your existing towels aren't in the best shape, you may continue to use them but keep them hidden away for showings.
- Shower curtains generally look best when drawn closed; however, you may want to leave them open if your shower is in great condition and you have some special upgrades that you want to show off. Open shower curtains can also make a bathroom feel more spacious.
- Make bed.
- Keep loose articles of clothing out of sight.
- Closet doors should be kept closed to improve the tidiness of your space.
- If you have a large walk-in closet you'd like to show-off, consider leaving the closet lights on.